Domaine Perrot-Minot

In the 1970’s, Marie-France Merme together with her husband Henri Perrot-Minot continued the work of her father Armand. After Armand’s death, Marie-France and Henri took over the running of the estate which changed its name into Perrot-Minot.

Domaine Perrot-Minot

the GEM of BURGUNDY

The origins of the estate date back to the mid-nineteenth century, but it is Amédée Merme who devoted himself to expanding and organizing the vineyard in the early 20th century. With his son Armand, they sought to ensure the reputation of the estate in France and beyond by producing quality wines.

In 1993, their son, Christophe Perrot-Minot, after spending seven years as a wine trader joined the estate and became the manager. His previous experience had provided him with an in depth knowledge and a genuine command of wine growing.


The estate now covers 13 hectares of vineyard spread over the most famous terroirs of Morey-Saint -Denis, Gevrey-Chambertin, Chambolle Musigny, Vosne Romanée and Nuits-Saint-Georges.

PERPETUATING TRADITION WITH HIGH STANDARDS

 

Christophe Perrot-Minot took over from his father Henri in 1993. Part of the estate stems from the acquisition of Domaine Pernin-Rossin in 2000 while the remainder comes down from maternal grandfather Merme, which explains the similarity of holdings to Domaine Taupenot-Merme over the road. In addition to the domaine wines listed below, various other vineyards, most notably the various grands crus of Gevrey-Chambertin, are made from purchased grapes under the same label but without the word ‘domaine’.

The winemaking begins with exceptionally vigorous sorting of the grapes, first in the vineyard and then on two tables de tri. The grapes are destemmed before one week of cool pre-maceration, followed by fermentation with pumping over preferred to punching down, especially for the morefine-boned appellations such as Chambolle-Musigny. Maturation takes place over 12 to 14 months without racking, in barrels from the Tronçais and Allier forests supplied by tonnellerie Rémond, with 25 per cent new wood for village wines, 40 per cent for premiers crus and 50 per cent for the grands crus.

Together, they maintained the tradition of quality and innovation which already existed with the previous two generations.

 

PHILOSOPHY

The vineyard benefits from exceptional climates because of the various names ranging from Nuits-Saint-Georges to Gevrey-Chambertin. It is mostly composed of old vines, all situated in prime locations, on mid-slope mainly on clay-limestone soils.

The estate is today in the process of organic certification although the estate has been run fully organic since 2016.

The yield is limited to obtain grapes that are naturally balanced and ripe. Rigorous grape sorting takes place in the vineyard during late summer (green harvest) and the estate is aiming at producing approximately 25 -30 hectoliters per hectare on average for the whole production. The harvest is entirely handpicked then sorted carefully at a sorting table upon arrival in the cellar. A selection of 60% whole clusters goes to the vats. The grapes are kept intact so as to keep the terroir flavors as natural and accurate can be. The remaining 40% is destemmed.

A supply strategy ensuring an optimum quality :
The estate has specialized in buying grapes which they harvest themselves and which are selected in the most prestigious plots : Chambertin, Chambertin Clos de Bèze, Chapelle-Chambertin and Griotte-Chambertin. To produce wines which can be compared with those of the estate, Christophe Perrot-Minot has full freedom to sample the ripeness of the grapes and sets himself the date of the wine picking which he does with his team.

His wines are pure and balanced, extremely delicate and easily digested. They are in the tradition of the classic and timeless wines.

 

No products were found matching your selection.